Monday, December 19, 2005
HEALing ME

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I have a problem in truthfully introducing myself to others – I am always unsure about what kind of impressions that I should deliver first, and what unique characteristics of mine that I should prioritize in order to leave a good impression of myself. Perhaps I am still struggling with a self-identity crisis, a prolong series of my painful teenagehood. This so-called crisis takes place in many different types of occasions and audience I am attending to. Funnily, it involves lots of half-truth strategies with creative versions of answers. Let me give you some examples.

Situation 1: New students in a classroom at the beginning of a semester

Students: Tell me about yourself, Sir.
Me: My name is HILMI. Please, it is HEEL ME or HILL ME or HEAL ME. But I would prefer you to HEAL ME because it sounds so healing for me. And for God’s sake, don’t ever HELL ME because I am from HILL, not from HELL. If you ever HELL ME, you‘d better get the HELL out of you.

Students: Okay Sir Hilmi.
Me: One more thing, don’t ever call me “Sir”. I have never been to England and the Queen has never conferred me the title “Sir”, unless Sir Elton John is ready to share his honorable title and wealth with me. I know it is so typical for Malaysian students to call their male English lecturers “Sir”, but I would prefer to be called CEKMI. I like it. It sounds so simple, friendly, Malay, and less British.

The truth: I am not a HILL man, I don’t mind to be HELLed, and I am proud to be “Sir”red.


Situation 2: New lecturers in a formal gathering

New lecturers: Where are you from?
Me: I am from Melaka.

The truth: I am from Kelantan, and this fact bothers me until now for I am not comfortable to be associated with typical Kelantanese traits. (Yes, Kelantanese out there, damn me. You can label me as a blasphemous Kelantanese). Once these people find out the truth, I will defend myself: “My mother’s parents are from Melaka, and my father’s are from Kelantan.”

I was half-lying.


Situation 3: Makciks in kampungs

Makciks: Are you still single?
Me: I am married with 3 kids.

The truth: I am happily single. The fact that I am still unmarried at the age of 29 bothers so many people, especially those kepohs. Once they find out the truth, I will defend myself: “I am married with 3 lives – my teaching profession, my master studies, and my administrative tasks.”

I was half-lying.


Situation 4: New Chinese friends in a Chinese restaurant

Chinese friends: Where are you working?
Me: I am working in a college as a Manager.

The truth: I am a lecturer in International Islamic College. Having to confess this fact might shock them to death, knowing my alien behaviour in an alien place with an alien friend. But, I am really a Manager, only I do not mention my other profession.

I was half-lying.


Situation 5: Complete strangers in a junior friend’s house

Strangers: Are you a student or working?
Me: I am a student.

The truth: I am a lecturer, which sounds so old and sickly-matured. Being in a jolly situation with crazy young friends, I don’t want to spoil the impression of my “youngness”, “smallness”, “funkiness” and “cuteness” by saying the truth. Once they find out the truth, I will defend myself: “I am a master's degree student in TESL studying in International Islamic University Malaysia.”

I was half-lying.




Yes, being an English lecturer, a Manager for Registration & Examination Department, and a master's degree student in TESL simultaneously has driven me crazy and confused most of the time. It makes me a half-liar.

My goodness, saying all these is really HEALing ME.

Welcome to my blog.






Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 5:46 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter