Friday, March 16, 2007
The One With A Happy Ending

The second semester has just ended. No longer waking up at the wee hours as early as 5.45 a.m. everyday, 30 minutes’ cold shower, 30 minutes’ dreaming in front of the mirror, 20 minutes’ lonely driving, and 60 minutes’ waiting for the eyes to have the shape of an energetic happy lecturer. And at 8, the happiest clown is transformed, ready to sail his English class through the liveliest journey ever. Well, those things ended a week ago. No more pretending. No more make-believe stories. I don’t know what to feel now. Happy? Maybe.

This semester, my students waited until the last class to please me.

“Sir, can we form a big circle among all of us?” asked Yati, the monitor of the class. I was perplexed, and answered with a fall-rise tone, “Okay...” What the hell these students are up to? Are they going to throw a surprise party? No way, I don’t think they know how to appreciate their lecturers, let alone giving gifts. (Well, don’t get me wrong, dear readers. I am not expecting them, but I would be very honored if they do). For three years, none of my imaginary things ever happened. Knowing the attitude of my students, the college would go on fire if they conduct a surprise party for their lecturer.

“Sir,” Yati began the seemingly prepared speech, “we are here to thank you for teaching us. We like your teaching style, so funny and happy-go-lucky. We are so happy to have you as our English lecturer.” What on earth do these people know about happy teaching?

Kamal raised and said code-switchingly, “On behalf of the boys, we would like to apologise and minta ampun because we all selalu datang lambat kelas and tak hantar assignment on time. But you are very kind Sir, tak pernah marah pun.” Opss…!

Yati raised and took out something from her bag. “We have something for you sir.” I was stunned and whispered, “What is this?” Yati smiled. She handed me three boxes of beautiful gifts. And everybody started to exchange their gifts. A photography session followed. It was perfect. I have never felt so blessed to be a lecturer.

Later, when they asked me to speak, I was strangely nervous. But I managed to get myself composed and this is my farewell speech: “Guys, I have never expected that you are gonna do this to me. I mean, the last time I experienced this was ten years ago, when I was a student like you, organizing a farewell party for my lecturer. I thought my students here would never do the things that I used to do. But, today I am proven wrong. I am so overwhelmed. Thanks a lot. You are so nice.”

“You know what, let me tell you a secret. I never get angry with you guys because I am not your grandfather to nag you all the time. I am not that old okay. I am your friend here, and I like Simple Plan also, like you all do. Well, why should I be bothered that you come late. You are grownups. And I want to treat you as adults. It’s you class. And it’s your marks that matter. I am not the one who is going to pass or fail. You know the rule, and you are the one who will bear the consequences, not me. So, I am not bothered, but guys, listen, my silence doesn’t mean that I agree. I am not a malay wannabe bride who is supposed to be silent to agree to get married. Now, I must tell you again, what you did was obviously wrong, and again, you are the one who is going to change that attitude, not me.”

“However, what matters most to me in this class is that you are happy. Whatever you do here, assignments, homework, or whatsoever, do it happily. This is my principle, my simple plan. Be happy! Shut up all the worries. Learning English ought to be enjoyable. There is no point that you come here everyday at 8 o’clock, wake up early everyday, but then, you are not happy. Life is too short. We are not going to meet here everyday. Sooner or later, we will say good bye, like today. We are not sure whether we will meet again in the future. So, be happy while we are still here, together.”

I am not sure whether I really meant the things that I said. But, I am pretty sure that that was one of the rare occasions which have the Bollywood-style endings, a happy ending.

(This post was originally published by cekmi at dannyhussainy.blogspot.com on April 5, 2005)

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 3:23 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter