Friday, November 23, 2007
My Wo
What naturally triggers your mind when you think of your childhood? I remember Sungai Durian and my beloved Wo.

This was where my Wo - my mother’s mother, my grandmother - used to spend her last remaining years of solitary life. Don’t be so surprised, because for Wo, this was a perfect station for a final ride to an after-life destination. And for her, it was a right terminal for a soul-searching retreat and a religious haven.

This was also where I spent most of my childhood weekends with my family. Oh yes, of all places in the world, my parents chose this seemingly shattered place to rejuvenate my brothers’ and sisters’ lost spirits, and most important, to strengthen our family ties.

Today, Sungai Durian is one of the oldest pondok institutions in Kelantan that still stands tall against the mainstream system of modern education. As a young boy, I used to be so excited to be here, not because I wanted to be part of the pondok community, but because there was a river nearby where I could join the other religious pondok men and women for a free public bath. A swim in a river – isn’t it an exciting thing to do as a kampong boy? Haha.

Together, all of my family members would enjoy this natural lagoon, oblivious of the possible existence of wild crocodiles along the river bank, and unashamedly overjoyed by the flow of the muddy water. It was at this very place that my whole family would always gather without any personal conflicts or resentment. We were a proud Hamzah family. We were then one family. One big happy family.

Looking at this place, we might think of poverty, underdevelopment, and third-world hell. Right, these would be the politically correct terms to describe Sungai Durian. But hey, who needs all the material richness in the world when all the people here need is a modest, stoic way of life to attain a passing grade for Heavan? Poverty can be richly defined in a very lucrative perspective, can't it?

With Wo’s presence, there was no need for modern luxuries.

There was no electricity, but Wo’s warmth provided the light for us.
There was no TV, but Wo’s stories kept us filled with exciting imaginations.
There was no cooking gadget, but Wo’s wisdom gave us enough food for the soul.
There was no shower room, but Wo’s gentleness showered us with everlasting comfort.
There was no concern for hygiene, but Wo’s kindnesses cleansed and moisturized our spirits.

Sungai Durian might be seen as one of the typical poor sections in Kelantan, but for me, it is so rich with fond memories of Wo.

May Wo rest in peace.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 10:34 AM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter