Monday, February 25, 2008
Korang Memang Lembu!
My students forgot to submit their assignments again. I didn’t understand. I thought, at this age, they should have been more responsible and more concerned with their marks. Sorry? How many sorries do you have in store for me? When you are sorry, mean it! You should really really really mean it by, of course, not repeating the same mistake again and again and again. You see, this seems like the thousandth time my naughty students are doing this to me. I am not an angel, okay. I can’t be that patient anymore. This is too much, guys. I am so disappointed and upset with your grotesque attitude.

Korang memang lembu!

“Manusia di pegang pada janjinya,
Lembu di pegang pada talinya.”


Correct me if the saying is wrongly structured. Right, you can call me old-fashioned and rigid and difficult, but I always believe in this saying. I firmly believe that, if you want to be a human being, you should act like one, by holding tight to your promises, by not breaking them, no matter what calamities you might face in your challenging lives – a traffic jam, a computer virus, a cruel break-up, a sick grandmother, a burnt house, etcetra etcetra. You should expect all these unexpected events and do your best to keep your promises. That’s what makes a human being a human being, not a cow. Lembu.

But wait a minute, there might be cows out there that are intelligent and humane enough to make promises to their owners like “Oh my dear owner, you can sacrifice me for Hari Raya Korban, but please wait until I am 55 years old when I retire, I promise” or “Oh my dear owner, please wait until my 20th son is born, then you can slaughter me to death, I promise.”

But wait a minute, I might have been over-reacting and acting irrationally over this issue. My students could have been innocent. They are just doing what human beings are good at doing – breaking promises.

A woman eats her favorite cheese cake, breaking her promise to observe her dietary program.
A friend backstabs his best friend to get promoted, breaking his promise to protect the valued friendship.
A married couple gets divorced, breaking their promises to live and die together.
A son is too busy making money, breaking his promises to love and care for his weak parents.
An employer does not pay enough for his employees, breaking his promise to cater for the employees’ welfare.
A policeman sells a confiscated car to a rich VIP, breaking his promise to keep the amanah image of local authorities.
A lawyer fixes the court judges, breaking his promise to uphold the sanctity of legal system.
A Muslim forgets to pray and pay zakat, forgetting his promise to obey His rules and regulations.

Aha, haven’t we all heard enough of, urm, politicians who make beautiful promises to the rakyat during elections and keep breaking them whenever they are indulged into their luxurious lives as Yang Berbahagia?

The BIG question is: Haven’t we all broken our promises? Hmm, maybe we are all also a bunch of lembus.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 10:35 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter