Wednesday, September 20, 2006
A Secret of Partial Happiness
“Why didn’t you blog, Cekmi?” Cekya asked me a few weeks ago during my sudden disappearance from blogging world. I bluntly answered, “I am happy.”

Well, I did not mean to offend my fellow bloggers, but somehow, I just did not feel the urge to blog during those “comfortable” moments. Neither did I claim that blogging is for losers, since I don’t think my blogshabats and I are losers, aren’t we? But, at that particular moment, I somehow felt better not to blog at all. I was just selfishly contented with myself. In fact, I was just enjoying moments of relief and happiness. But, what has made me happier?

Okay, sorry to disappoint you guys, but I am not engaged to any Datins.

The secret?

Three months ago, I made one of the most significant professional decisions in my life – I quit my managerial position.

My previous office

FYI, multitasking has been a forced way of life for most of unlucky bunch of academicians in my institutions. Being a manager plus a lecturer had made my life so miserably suffocating. With master studies in both my already-busy hands, it worsened the matter. I was just so sick juggling so many things at one time. What I badly wanted at that time was to do one thing at one time. I was just tired being a superperson. So, I chose to sacrifice one of the important things in my life – my position as a Manager for Registration and Examination Department. And therefore, I went back to my original root – a full-time English lecturer.

The results?

Beyond my expectations. It has been like a five-star-rated honeymoon.

First, apparently, I have a more handsome work station.

My new office

With my passionate creativity, my long-abandoned workplace now becomes more homely and inviting. The moment I decided to quit being a manager, I worked really hard to transform my old office into a customized heavan. A large photo frame illustrates the fond memories with students, two round mirrors symbolize my double happiness (hopefully here and hereafter), four cactuses remind me of the beauty of life, pictures all over the place take me back to past life – all of them are the outer manifestation of my sheer determination to pursue happiness in my personal and professional life.

Second, I walked much more slowly these days.

Not so long ago, my life had been so hectic and frenzied. I used to walk so fast, banging doors after doors around the college so bossily, surprising people with my cockroach-style attitude, all in the name of perfect accomplishments of my long daily to-do lists. But now, I walk lazily like a retired man, appreciating the nature and surrounding more and more. I started to notice people around me and what is happening around. There have been a lot of meaningful non-verbal communications that I have become aware of, such as simple hello from students, those little gestures that convey a lot of colorful messages.

Thirdly, I don’t need excessive to-do lists anymore to guide my life.

That grants me more freedom and flexibility to lead my life. And that also rewards me with instant pleasures to do things that I long to do without a tight schedule. Life without plan can be so exciting. No worries. No pressures. Just do it (like Nike motto). I am now able to enjoy doing one thing at one time.

Fourth, I’ve got more time for myself and my friends.

I was surprised when one of my colleagues honestly told me that she hated me so much because I hardly smiled and was so cold towards her. But now, things have changed. We are close friends. I’ve got more time for friends around. In fact, I have been doing lots of stuffs with them.

Sixth, I have a happier lifestyle.

I spend more time doing things that I want. For example, swimming has been part of my enjoyable habits. What’s more, I have been enjoying my diet plan and I, so far, have lost 8 kilograms! Everyday, I received lighthearted comments like “You look skinnier,” or “You look more cheerful,” or “You look younger,” and other young-related amusing remarks. That makes me frowned, flattered and smile even more. My bony cheeks look shinier that somebody has to put on a big shade later. Hah!

So, I have made my choice that has made me happier.

Yes. At least partially. Why don't you?

Be free, Be happy!

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 2:36 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter