Thursday, January 04, 2007
Sweet, Melancholic Perak



When I need some inspiration, I will always find ways to see Jimi, my soul-friend in Kampar, Perak. Driving a car or riding a bus to his place is such a pleasurable experience, thinking ahead of the wonderful moments I would share with Jimi, his warm-hearted parents, his ever-funny sister and his happening Ipoh friends. I remember going to those unforgettable greenery places, alive nightspots, and great eating places. But I am most enchanted by the old nostalgic buildings lining up magnificently along the road in the countryside. What a therapeutic sight!




My friends will always wonder why on earth that I adore Ipoh so much. I understand, Ipoh is not as attention-grabbing as KL. And we can hardly find sophisticated skyscrapers here. But, I always think of Perak, particularly Kampar and Ipoh, as my personal sanctuary. I somehow feel emotionally attached to these places. Looking at those buildings, I could feel the mysterious sweetness of pain, sorrow and melancholy - as if they were speaking to me and telling great stories in a language only a hopelessly-romantic person like me could understand. Yes, I always feel like I want to belong here. It’s irresistible. I owe all these feelings to Jimi. Well, he could be the reason for all this wonderful feeling association.

“Cekmi, I am so scared with your concept of sweet melancholy,” one of my doctor friends said to me not long ago. I asked him, “Why? Am I sick?”
“No, you are not. But, do you know that only a poet can feel what you feel now? And for your information Cekmi, most of great poets in the history committed suicide.”

Thanks for the kind reminder, my dear friend.

Don't worry dear readers. Whenever I think of Perak, I always feel melancholically good, not poetically suicidal.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 12:00 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter