Thursday, September 28, 2006
My Super Ex-Housemate

My life was transformed tremendously a few months ago when, after eight months living alone, I decided to have a housemate. When I first met this Indonesian guy, I noticed something ironic – we used the same model of hand phone (my dead norkiah, hah!). I was like, hmmm, maybe it was a good omen, and may be we would become good housemates.

And not so long after our first meeting, he surprisingly brought about a lot of changes into my solitary life, and definitely contributed a great deal into my so-called partial happiness. Let me analyse some of those blessings. Here we go.

I was no longer scared at nights since I knew there was someone in the house protecting me if my imaginary nightmares really happened. I slept better then.

I was no longer alone in the morning since I had a company who would be as busy as I was preparing for work. Oh, we were both academicians working together at the same institution.

I had a company for lunch. Kind and thoughtful, he would always volunteer himself to be my daily lunch ‘date’.

I had reasons to cook since I knew there would be always someone who was going to experiment my newly-discovered recipe (He was a beast who ate almost anything edible).

I became a better muslim since we always prayed together (He was the Imam, of course, since I didn’t think I could lead well in solat).

I was his patient confidant when it came to listening to problems in his difficult love life. I had never felt so brotherly in my life.
I had a new perspective on Indonesian stuffs, as I started to see something different about Indon cultures - foods, music, movies, etc. (I always had this negative perception towards Indon-related products). Thanks to my Padang-born ex-housemate.

I was introduced to a lot of his kind Indonesian friends and wonderful family. I learned a good lesson from him. “Never abandon our silaturrahim and ukhuwwah with people we love,” he always said to me.

*sigh*

But, there were things about him which I was not quite comfortable with. He was kind of disorganized and hasty. “I am bad timekeeper,” he explained to me one day when he was late for lunch. But, the most unforgiving moment was when he left the house at night, unlocked! When I got back, I was panicked to death, thinking that my house was broken in and robbed. How angry I was at that time, wishing that I could chase him out of the house immediately.

And my angry wish came true not so long after that incident. Things started to change so dramatically when he decided to get married and moved together with his wife. It was a sudden decision. But, I was not really affected since I had been living my life all by myself before. Of course, I could do it all over again. For my ex-housemate, I pray that you will find peace and happiness in your marriage. I am thankful for having you as my super ex-housemate, even for only three months.

And here I am again in the house, contentedly alone.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 12:36 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter