Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Kampar, Jimi & Cekmi II
Although it is not as worldly-sophisticated as KL, Kampar is so special, for me. I just need to remember Kampar to make me smile and sigh with relief. But, what is so extraordinary about this place that glues my attention, that seduces my imagination over and over, that continuously allures me to come back again? I don’t have the definite answers. Maybe a brief glimpse into the past would give some clues.


Precious Gold

Situated in Kinta Valley, the word Kampar was derived from the Cantonese word kam pao, which means Precious Gold (Linguistically, it almost resembles my hometown, Pasir Mas – the Golden Sand). This 110-year-old town was once a famous tin mining place. While Jimi and I are humming our favourite songs in his car, I remember looking curiously at those abandoned mines, which could be commercialized into magnificent lakes, spread along the outskirts of Kampar.

The majority of the town’s population is of Chinese descent, which explains the gigantic graveyard located nearby the town. From the Bandar Baru Kampar, one could see the green hills where hundreds, or maybe thousands, of tombs are lining up. The extension of the cemetery is in progress. And this particular sight captures my attention. It is really creepy that when I think of Kampar, I always remember this breathtaking, widely-spread Chinese cemetery serenely located on the vast slope of hills (what a weird perspective, huh?). It was so beautifully-organised that I funnily refused to accept the fact that it was actually a resting place where the great-great Chinese ancestors were peacefully treasured. It was a sight of a perfect heavan, unlike Muslim cemetery located nearby, which triggers the scary images of Pontianak Harum Sundal Malam or Waris Jari Hantu. (Oh, what a blasphemous thought, Cekmi!)


And who says Kampar is underdeveloped? With the establishment of a new campus of University Tunku Abdul Rahman, Kampar is surely progressing very rapidly. This is evident in the swift development in its Bandar Baru where a starred Grand Kampar Hotel is proudly located. When I discovered this hotel, I had to readjust my mind-setting about Kampar. I simply couldn’t fathom its very existence, until I remember that this town is moving into a new direction of development. When Komuter, another transportation project, is completed very soon, I could easily vanish myself from KL to Kampar, where the station is situated just at the back of Jimi’s house. Pretty strategic, huh?

Looking at these positive physical changes, I have even considered Kampar as one of the potential places for me to settle down. What’s more, this town used to be the residence of famous figures - Datin Paduka Seri Endon Mahmood, late wife of Pak Lah, Eric Moo, a Taiwan-based singer, and Mark Chang, the founder of Jobstreet.com. Well, I could be the next proud resident of Kampar – Dato’ Cekmi, the founder of Kamparia Megamall. hehe.


But what are the real reasons for my preference towards Kampar as compared to other more happening towns in Malaysia?

One thing for sure, Jimi is surviving there, alive and happy. And I would always look forward to seeing Jimi, because meeting him would mean allowing some eccentric ways to accomplish my on-going cravings for peace and happiness, which I couldn’t possibly attain in a cruel KL, which is frustratingly void of love and care. And Jimi is such a guru of life. Meeting him in person is like expanding the contents of the SMSes that have been continuously exchanged between us for years.

With this in mind, Kampar has become the dreamland in my selfish journey for self-rediscovery and inspiration. It is undoubtedly a sanctuary for my grieving soul and torn spirit. It completes me. And it will always be. Because this is my American Dream.

Kampar Dream.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 2:16 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter