Wednesday, March 08, 2006
True or False?
I am quoting a reading quiz given to my Diploma English Level 4 students:

“Our greatest hopes and most exciting dreams almost always involve human relationships. This means that we are always at the mercy of those who, because of their position, can destroy our hopes. The unfaithful lover, dishonest business partner, ungrateful employer or disloyal friends have the power to shatter, in just a few moments, years of carefully nurtured dreams.”

And one of the questions is:
“People cannot shatter our dreams. True or False?”

Based on the reading passage and the teacher’s answer key given to me, the answer is – False.

Happy? Not that easy.

I found the statement and the answer quite ironic. When I announced the answer to the class, I was hesitant, whether to be objective or subjective. I was tempted to say – True. If that was my answer, I would violate the writer’s viewpoints and the teacher’s answer key. Never mind. Subjectively though, I can claim that it is so true that people cannot shatter our dreams, can they?

All right, so my dreams have been for so many times crashed by those powerful people around me. But. But. But, I have never stopped dreaming and trying to realize them in other possible ways. We may be subordinates, but with regards to our dreams, they cannot possibly, in one way or another, destroy those dreams, unless we easily give in to the fate and let the fate takes charge of our lives. I believe humans’ spirit can be extremely stubborn and sophisticatedly equipped with dangerous weapons – beliefs and hopes. We are also given such tremendous choices in life, and we can choose to continue our dreams. As sexy Mariah Carey evokes in her song “Can’t Take Them Away”, and her duet with Whitney Houston “When You Believe”, I am truly inspired not to let anyone ruin my ways of doing things.

My unfaithful lover might have destroyed my romantic idea of love, but that cannot stop me from searching for a real love.

My dishonest colleague might have crossed over the promotion I wanted badly, but that cannot stop me from looking for better positions.

My ungrateful employer might not have acknowledged me for my tireless contributions in the company, but that cannot stop me from being a better player in the dirty politics of organization.

My disloyal friend might have cancelled the trip to Langkawi, but that also cannot stop me from going to Langkawi, alone.

(So students, you can take your pick – choose my answer and fail the reading quiz, or you can hold fast to your dreams and pass this life with flying colours, okay?)

Now again, can’t people shatter our dreams?

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 4:01 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter