Thursday, April 06, 2006
Seman
I had the most interesting day yesterday.

After more than four years of my teaching career, I finally had an unforgettable social outing with my students, and yes, for the first time ever! I realized that, not until yesterday, I had put some wide gap between my students and me, socially speaking, despite my sporting achievements in various classrooms, and it never surpassed beyond these formal boundaries. And not until yesterday, I realized that I had not been so close with them, which could be probably due to my strong principle in keeping my personal life so private, that I would never indulge myself with students, or mingle around them, or mix my social life with them, or take them as part of my inner world. As a lecturer, it was my duty not to mess up my private life with students, because it might get ugly in the future, so to speak.

But, all these ‘cold’ attitudes of mine changed yesterday. My business communication students really broke the tradition of my concept of relationship with students. Organised by Royal Supplies from Section 6, we went out to Genting Highland, a day after they sat for Business Communication paper. What happened on the high land totally exceeded my expectation. I had never thought that I could be so student-oriented – I laughed with them, played with them, giggled with them, fooled with them – as if there were no more artificial peripheries between me and them, no more lecturer-student relationship. We were more like friends!

Apparently, I behaved like I was one of them. I was dressed just like them that I almost fooled every stranger there, making them think that I was also a student, young and energetic. It happened even earlier while I was on the way up to Genting Highlands.

“Where do you study brother?” asked one of the passengers in the bus to me.
“Oh, at a college in Batu Caves,” I was half-lying, since he asked about my studies, not about my work. Surprisingly, there was no slightest doubt in his face about my appearance, suggesting that he was taking me now as a student. Then he said:
“So, what course are you doing now”
“IT”
“Oh, is it tough?”
“Okay lah.”
Suddenly, one of my students asked me from behind, “Can you take our picture, SIR?”
Alamak kantoi!
I was smiling sheepishly to my new friend, and said, “Actually, my name is Seman. You can call me Se.”

For the whole afternoon, I became the laughing stock for my own students. They called me Pak Seman. Okay, I got a new glamourous name – SEMAN! (call me ‘Se’ okay). I didn’t mind this embarrassment at all. In fact, it was hilariously fun – I took it as some kind of endearment term that was only shared secretly by us (unless they spread this to the whole college!).

Oh, I won’t forget the fun we had at the peak, with everybody trying to show off their heroism by trying every single game in the outdoor park so bravely – the Space Shot (again!), roller coaster, fun cart (enjoy the low speed!), merry-go-round (with broken CD), tea-cup spin, boat-bumping, and so much more. And of course, I won’t forget the climax of the event - the great dinner near the Gombak cemetery! Despite the stupid warning note put on my car plus the bent wiper that really made me mad, I managed to compose myself again and never let that spoil the great time that we had had so far. The dinner was splendid - the enlightening speeches, the great food - everything was excellent. And also, not to forget the dinner treat organized by Songket Mas Travel Tours & Agency from Section 4 held two days ago at HR Steak House in Kampung Baru, KL. Thanks a million guys. Indeed, these could be among the most darling chapters in my life.

Definitely, this outing was so much different from the outing I had with my colleagues early this year at the very same place, in a way that I had achieved something remarkable in my life as an academician – I had actually put myself into the students’ shoes. As a matter of fact, I have been so jealous with my own colleagues for their close relationship with students, for their continuous outdoor activities with them at so many great places that I didn’t think I was capable of doing. But yesterday, I proved that I could get involved with students without much injuries incurred. It was not as bad as I had thought it would be. It was harmless, satisfying and fun. I felt so good about myself.

Dear students, I know that you have been wondering about my personal life, my love life (or my marital status). Let me keep this straight. As long as we enjoy each others’ company, let it be this way, and let me handle my utmost private life by myself, let it remain ‘mysterious’ (as you put it), because I prefer it this way. Don’t worry, I will let you know the soonest possible the very moment that ‘great’ time arrives.

But at least, Cekmi somehow managed to get himself out of his own closet. Well done Seman!

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 10:00 AM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter