Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Doable
Research writing can be such a challenging shit for many people.

“I am sick with the administrative constraints,” said Melly, one of my close friends.
“Why?” I asked.
“Well, they keep rejecting the proposals,” she paused and smiled, “and the next meeting will be in a couple of months’ time.”
I was smiling too and asked, “So what are you going to do?”
“I’d better sit for a Comprehensive Examination.”

Yes, IIUM is among the rare universities that leave two great options for its postgraduate students – Coursework with Thesis OR Coursework with Comprehensive Exam (coined as “compre” by most students).

This confusion has always tricked my conscience since the very beginning of my postgraduate studies: The question of Thesis versus Compre.

For those who are so ambitious enough to change the world and get themselves published in one of the reputable journals in the library of thoughts, they would go for the former.

For those who are so busy with their family and professional life, and desperate enough for an easy way out, they would go for the latter.

I have been imagining the worst things that could happen to me if I were to write a thesis, until I got the “call” early this year that changed my perspective.

“You gotta sacrifice something in your life”, advised Dr. Zah, upon asking her about my highly-disordered mentalities.
“But I can’t sacrifice my work,” I reasoned.
“I know your work is important for your survival, but is this what you are going to do for the rest of your life? Think of your future, dear.”

With those words lingering powerfully in my mind for many hours, I finally made up my mind – I am going to write a thesis. With determination and proper management, I know I am able to handle all the possible administrative constraints from the university, just like what Melly had madly gone through.

“What’s more important is to choose a topic that can be easily done – doable,” added Dr Zah, who agreed later to be my supervisor. I was so happy since I got an A in her subject before, and what’s more, she’s the Head of the Department. It surely ensures a brighter and more promising end. Well, the road is now open, waiting for a suicidal driver called Cekmi.

After a few months (!) of contemplation, driven by Dr. Zah’s continuous beliefs in my capabilities, I decided an area for my investigation. And this is what I have always wanted to explore – the Phonetics of English Language.

I know I can make it doable.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 4:36 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter