Thursday, November 09, 2006
Being 5
Last Friday – 3rd of November, 2006 – marked the fifth year I have been in this higher-learning institution, being a lecturer, an academician, a guru.

Previous campus


I still remember that day, when I beamingly walked into the college, after four mid-boggling interviews, after having a tough life, job-hopping from one company to another company. And I am so jubilated that, after years of persistent hard work and constant endurance, I finally settle in my career now.

Why am I so in love with this college?

1. I work only for 6 flexible hours a day, 30 hours a week, 5 working days only. That makes me so happily smile and move like a tame snake, coming everyday to the college anytime (provided that I fulfill those 6 hours), without following the strict office hours. Oh, how I hate those fixed hours when I worked in the previous institutions. 8.30 sharp! No way. I love to be flexible where I can practice my own self-discipline. And I think I have done that so religiously.

2. If you want to be a boss, come and work here. Apart from having to report to my superiors, I am my own boss in many exciting ways. In a classroom, I am in-charge of the students, where I am their manager, counselor, father, brother, dictator and other superior-related roles, simultaneously. Well, Cekmi rules here. Shut up and listen.

3. Being among the second batch of lecturers, I am now a senior (young, of course) who is entitled for a better salary scheme. This makes the other batches of lecturers always look at me with contempt. Why the hell, they might think, Cekmi got a better salary than we do while we are doing the same damn thing? Sorry guys, the world is never fair.

4. I can, at my own whims and fancies, decide what I want to be and what I don’t want to be. I once volunteered to be a manager for a department, so I comfortably got it. And when I felt like I was in the middle of an administrative suicide, I sent a one-month notice of resignation to the HR. The CEO sent me a thank-you letter. Just like that. Thank you Cekmi.

5. My colleagues are the “craziest” people on earth. They are not only my office mates, but also my close friends. We giggle in the office like wild teens (oh, just forget about being a professional lecturer!), laugh like naughty kids, and share things so intimately like brothers and sisters. Last Monday, we had a pot-luck gathering in my house and, to make it unforgettable, we had a wild poisonous-box game. You can imagine how hilarious it was when 12 people laughed hysterically at the same time. Talk about English lecturers.

Current campus


Some interesting trivia about Cekmi & his college:

1. My current immediate boss is my previous immediate subordinate
2. A part-time admin staff is paid RM3 per hour (McDonald’s rate?)
3. I got triple bonus last year (six in the making, insyaAllah)
4. A lecturer has to teach usrah (Cekmi can be an ustaz okay)
5. I was the MC for college convocation for two consecutive years (not bad, ar?)
6. CEO’s favourite question: “Bila nak kawin?”

What do I want more from this college?

1. A room for each lecturer, with personal accessories (don’t forget an air-con)
2. More flexible attire rules for students (decent jeans is fine for me)
3. More incentives for staff (end-of-year holidays in, er, Bali perhaps)
4. Friendlier administrative staffs who know how to smile (speak English please..)
5. An award for best-dressed male lecturer. Hehehe.

What’s more?

I don’t need anything more. I am blessed with all the good things here.

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 3:05 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter