Friday, April 21, 2006
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid
Two years ago, I wanted to celebrate my friend’s birthday at Cameron Highlands. My friend and I had never been to this great place. To make it adventurous and elegant, we decided to go there by ourselves using my car. We did not mind the risks because believed that we were determined explorers. So confident and thrilled, I could not stop talking and smiling during the whole ride, imagining all the exciting events waiting for us. After about 2 hour journey on the highway, I turned into a kampung street. Suddenly, I thought I was lost. So, I pulled over and asked a Chinese man selling fruits beside the street.

Tumpang tanya Uncle, is this the right way to Cameron Highland?” I asked. He looked confused and said, “This is not the way to Cameron Highlands.”
“So which is the right way?”
“You should go through Tapah, not Bentong!”
“Hah? What!?”

I did not believe what I heard. To double check things, I called my boss and asked for her direction. When I told her where I was, she laughed hysterically. I was furious. After going through a stimulating drive on Karak Highway, I was told that I had to go back to KL and made my way to PLUS highway. Only then I realized that I was totally at the opposite side of Cameron Highlands!

That was so unimaginably stupid. I did not blame my friend for it was, in the first place, my idea and I was the driver, so I was supposed to know better than him. And I should’ve asked my other knowledgeable friends about this. Instead, I blindly followed my instinct and successfully made myself an idiot.

Of course, we never made it to Cameron highlands on that lucky-turn-pathetic day. To undo and compensate the damage, we went to Bukit Tinggi, which I ‘accidentally’ discovered on Karak Highway on our way back to KL (what a fortunate rescue!)

As a matter of fact, that was only one of the many stupid moments in my life. Nothing was more admirable compared to the next pathetic story I am about to tell you. There was another incident when I was doing my shopping at a supermarket. I was in dire need for a creamer. I was looking for a condensed milk when colourful cans of F & N caught my attention. So I hurriedly bought a dozen of them. Happy, I quickly made myself a hot Nescafe at home, only to find out later that the supposedly condensed milk was actually evaporated creamer for baking cakes!

I definitely learnt two important things from this array of humiliating experiences – one, never assume that I know everything in the world (so I must never act intelligent when in fact I am not); two, laugh and laugh at myself more frequently so that I will feel better and be able to take more positive lessons from those stupid turning points. Oh yes, after some time, when I look back at those ‘smart’ things I have done, I really laugh at my own self. To make it more valuable, I do not even mind sharing these ‘amazing’ stories with my friends. Surprisingly, I will feel so light-hearted whenever we laugh together at my own heroic acts. I feel as if I have passed one of the great challenges in life and been given the license to move forward.

Saleh Ben Joned was probably right; being able to laugh at ourselves is one of the vital steps towards self-improvement. If we keep denying our own weaknesses and refuse to laugh at our own mistakes, we will soon be part of a complacent society who will never progress.

So, what is your laughable stupid moment?

Labels:

mused by cekmi @ 2:32 PM  
cekmi's world

Meet cekmi – a confused Kelantanese man who is continuously amused by his blurry budu past and his modern chopstick life. As he moves further up towards his worldly pursuit, he moves even closer down to his original state of buduness. These are his budu tales.
cekmi's ramblings
cekmi's treasures
cekmi's jewels
cekmi's team

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counter